Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Feeling of Accomplishment

I did something utterly amazing yesterday!  Something I never thought I could do.  I conquered another hiking trail and a slight case of acrophobia.  Needless to say, I'm on a high from a great feeling of accomplishment!  This time around, a friend and I tackled the River Mountain Trail, a six-mile round trip hike to the summit of Black Mountain.  Yes, I wrote "hike to the summit."  Seriously.  I surprise myself now and then, but this surprise tops the list!  I am not fit by any standard, but I made it up that mountain all the same with a kick to my step that motivated my svelte hiking partner!  I gather my inspiration stemmed from the captivating scenery on the trail, with majestic views of Red Mountain and Black Mountain from the canyon, the quaint view of Boulder City from the switchbacks above the canyon, and the amazing view of Lake Mead from the summit of Black Mountain.  And I do love an adventure!  The River Mountain Trail was quite an adventure, one that I won't soon forget!

River Mountain Trail, Boulder City, NV
Heading into the canyon between Red Mtn. and Black Mtn.
View of Red Mountain from the switchbacks.
The canyon from the switchbacks on Black Mtn.  Boulder City in the distance.
View of Lake Mead at the summit of Black Mountain.
Relaxing at the summit before making my way down.
Life's a great adventure just waiting to happen!

No comments: