Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday Reading

I completed Persuasion by Jane Austen this morning. I rather enjoyed it. And now I'm on a Jane Austen fix. I've requested Persuasion on DVD, along with Emma, Sense and Sensibility, and Mansfield Park, from my local library (I can't stop praising the genius that is the public library!). I recently saw the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice and have read all of Jane Austen's books with exception to Sanditon and Other Stories. Unfortunately, Northanger Abbey is not on DVD, or if it is, my local library doesn't carry it (phoo!).

I've discovered a new author, Poppy Z. Brite, on my last trek to the library. Her book, Plastic Jesus initially caught my eye because it wielded the PRIDE colors on its binding. I'm quite partial to gay and lesbian literature given my circumstance. I'm also apt to give any book of that genre the benefit of the doubt simply because there are so few books of the like to begin with. Needless to say, I'm glad this book caught my eye. I'm not great with describing books I've read because I seldom do them any justice. Simply take my word for it that Plastic Jesus is worth a read and that Poppy Z. Brite's writing is unique, to say the least.

I also picked up the following books, which I have yet to read: Crow Lake by Mary Lawson, Hedwig and Berti by Frieda Arkin, Not Ready For Prime Time by Brent Askari, and The Testimony of Taliesin Jones by Rhidian Brook.

BB called me this morning. She's out and about with her sister and nieces in St. Augustine. I miss her so much. Too much for my own good, I think. But this is love, right? BB returns on Tuesday, and life can go back to normal then. Seems like Florida is the most likely place we'll settle and start our family. I know, Florida is too conservative and anti-GLBT. But as an attorney, I know how to secure and ensure our family's interests, legal or otherwise.

Take the time from your hectic life to open a book. The possibilities that come with reading are limitless. Also, tolerance and acceptance of eachother's differences are keys to a better world.

No comments: