Saturday, June 10, 2006

Pink Zen

BB and I attended Jacob and Lucas's housewarming party on Thursday night. We arrived at their new home an hour late. It took us an hour to drive there. It felt like a mini-road trip. It was a mini-road trip. Jacob came out to greet us and gave me a big hug. I have to admit that I've missed him. Although I felt uncomfortable at first, it slowly subsided as Jacob and I reconnected. Jacob and Lucas were very hospitable and appeared genuinely happy to see us. Lucas took us on a tour of their new home, which is quite impressive. I loved their furniture, but frowned upon the fact that their master bedroom neither had a walk-in closet nor a large bathroom. It's a beautiful home nonetheless. After a Memphis barbecue dinner, Jacob and I had a chance to catch up on all that's happened. I discovered that he's currently on leave from the air force and is working at a retail store. I was disappointed and saddened by the fact that we had lost touch with one another. We used to be so close. But, as Jacob puts it, our priorities have changed. I agree. We've grown up and, in the process, have grown apart. Maybe someday, we'll find our way back to how it once was between us.

BB bought me a pink Creative Zen Nano Plus (1 GB) mp3 player for my birthday. She ordered it through Amazon.com, and I'm waiting impatiently for it. I've been wanting an mp3 player for so long, but never seriously thought about purchasing one. Probably because it's something I want, but don't exactly need. I guess I'm a bit...frugal. OK. I'll admit it. I'm cheap, although I prefer 'thrifty' instead, thank you. I'm the 'thrifty' one in our relationship. BB's gotten used to that aspect of me, but it's been difficult trying to persuade her to see things (i.e., money and the way we should spend it) through my eyes. Of course, BB has tried to reciprocate the process. And I'm slowly changing my views. Money is just money. It doesn't buy happiness (although it pays the bills). BB's motto is if we have the money, then we deserve to spend it any way we want. 'We only live once,' she says time and again. I absolutely agree. However, money doesn't come easy. We need to work hard for it. We have to earn it. My motto is to save for a rainy day, to be prepared just in case. Why buy at retail prices when you can buy at discounted prices? Why buy new when you can buy used? Why shop at Target when Goodwill is just as good, if not better? LoL I am frugal. But, I'm learning to balance my life. I'm learning to enjoy life and to splurge now and again, all the while maintaining a budget which will allow us to pay the bills and still have a few dollars left over to save for a rainy day. Hence, I'm going to enjoy my pink Zen without feeling the least bit guilty.

OMG! Marie's officially married! It's already 11:26 p.m. in New York. Marie and Gary were married today. Wow! I can't believe they finally tied the knot. I'm so happy for them! BB and I were supposed to attend their wedding, but we couldn't afford it. The tickets to New York alone would have cost a fortune. Although we couldn't go, we bought them a wedding gift from their registry. I hope they like it. I also hope and pray that they share a long, happy, and successful life together. Palakpakan!

No comments: