Sunday, June 11, 2006

Thrift-Store Hopping

I woke up early this morning determined to make it to Goodwill on time. As you may have guessed, I'm partial to thrift stores and love perusing the aisles for used treasures. You never really know what you may find. So I buy second-hand goods. I'm a believer in recycled products. I'm also frugal (see prior post). Thrift stores are my thing. I must have really been in the mood for thrift-store shopping this morning because I arrived thirty minutes early. I forgot that Goodwill opens at 10 a.m. on Sundays. It was the perfect excuse for me to buy breakfast. After all, I needed to muster some energy to get me through the day. Today's sale featured 50% off furniture, 75% off linen, and 75% off anything metal. My kind of deals. I bought drapes for our dining room and a couple of accent throw pillows. I didn't find any furniture, so I left after an hour. However, BB arrived home earlier than usual, and we went back to the same thrift store. BB spotted a great side table for our bedroom, still perfectly packed in a box direct from Target. It cost us $12.50 with the sale. I also purchased a perfectly new messenger bag for work at a steal ($5.00). Wow. I thought for sure the bag would be gone when we returned, but no one picked it up. My lucky day. Afterwards, BB and I drove 20 minutes to another thrift store, where we purchased a sofa for $50 and matching coffee tables and end tables all for $50. The tables were from Target and were still in the box. We were really lucky today. However, when we arrived home, BB began to assemble the tables and noticed that the screws were missing. We drove to Lowe's and bought some screws, but it turns out that they're the wrong size. This is but one of the drawbacks to being thrifty. But it's a minor problem, and we still managed to save a lot of money. You should see our condo. Roughly 90% of our furniture and housewares are from local thrift stores. Yet, you would have never guessed that's the truth.

The Tony Awards are on tonight. I saw a performance of Sweeney Todd, and now I'm hooked. It's dark and morbid, right up my alley. If only more shows would come through our town.

Hmm...As I sit here and type, I notice how cluttered our desk is with books and magazines. We need a couple of bookshelves in our guest bedroom/office. I guess that's something to look for next time we go thrift-store hopping. Suddenly, I find myself flushed and excited.

No comments: