Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tunnel Vision

Last Saturday, a friend and I accomplished a great feat in our books by hiking the Railroad Tunnel Trail in Boulder City, Nevada.  We began our hike at the entrance to Lake Mead National Recreation Area on Lake Shore Drive, making our way through five historical railroad tunnels before reaching the trail that would take us on to Hoover Dam.  We decided to give it a go and trekked our way to Hoover Dam and back.  It was a rather strenuous hike for the likes of me, but I trudged onward without complaint...until the last leg of our hike.  By then, I swear I had a bad case of tunnel vision, my knee ached painfully, my tummy growled in protest, and my throat felt extremely parched.  Surprisingly, the overpriced chocolate muffin I bought from High Scaler Cafe at the Hoover Dam was a wise decision; it definitely gave me the energy boost I needed to complete the return trip.

FYI, the hike was roughly ten miles to Hoover Dam and back, and the beautiful scenery made the entire experience quite memorable!  I highly recommend this trail

The Railroad Tunnel Trail, Boulder City, NV
Tunnel 1
Can you spot the Nome King? lol
View of Lake Mead from the Railroad Tunnel Trail.
Tunnel 3
Hoover Dam, NV
Hoover Dam, NV
Me on the trail...I survived! =D
Get out and do something!

No comments: