Saturday, April 16, 2011

Meaningful Words

I'm currently reading David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary, a story about love and relationships.  The novel is interesting in that it literally reads like a dictionary with the narrator's personal insight and impressions used to describe specific words.

Here are a few meaningful words from the The Lover's Dictionary, which are some of my personal favorites:

"abyss, n.  There are times when I doubt everything.  When I regret everything you've taken from me, everything I've given you, and the waste of all the time I've spent on us" (Levithan 6).

"barfly, n.  You have the ability to talk to anyone, which is an ability I do not share" (Levithan 27).

"motif, n.  You don't love me as much as I love you.  You don't love me as much as I love you.  You don't love me as much as I love you" (Levithan 144).

"serrated, adj.  And you said, 'I'm not sure we can'" (Levithan 180).

Notice how my personal favorites are quite dark and depressing?  I gather they stood out because they fit my mood perfectly at the moment.  But I digress...

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan is a brilliant must-read!

broken, adj.  How I felt when she said, "I love you, but I'm not in love with you."

No comments: