Sunday, January 28, 2007

Oy Vey!

I woke up at 10:30 a.m. with an awful headache and neck pain. We really need a new bed or at the very least, new pillows. I fixed myself a bowl of cereal of the generic kind (thanks to frugal me, of course) and ate it for the sake of eating breakfast (er brunch?), and not because I really wanted to. I drank the leftover milk from the bowl and then searched the fridge for something...salty. There wasn't much to choose from, mostly leftovers. I eyed the barbecue beef sticks with hope that it would satisfy my need. It didn't, but what's new? I sat on the sofa and turned on the telly. I surfed for a while, but nothing appealed to me. So I got up and perused my pathetic DVD collection. I opted for a lesbian flick. Unfortunately, I chose Kissing Jessica Stein.

Kissing Jessica Stein annoyed me. Ironically, I used to love this film. Hence the reason why I own it. I don't know why I loved it. Granted, the actresses are beautiful, but the story is...annoying. I don't know how else to describe it. There were several things about the film that I never gave much thought to in the past, but which disgusted and angered me this time around. For example, Jessica's facial expression and body language after making love with Helen for the first time. She looked disgusted with what she had done. If I had just made love with a beautiful woman like Helen, I would not have that look on my face and would not have the urge to be anywhere but where I am. And upon watching the film this time around, I couldn't deny the fact that Jessica is so damn straight! Who was she kidding?! And who was I kidding in the past?! Her issues ran deeper than simply figuring out her sexual preference. Maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe I wanted the ending to be different with Jessica and Helen staying together and being in love with one another. Or maybe I'm too focused on GLBT issues to see the bigger picture. Sigh. I felt like Jessica could have saved everyone, including herself, a lot of heartbreak if she had simply been true to herself (i.e., a straight woman) and admitted that her love for Helen was a love between best friends. Kissing Jessica Stein is a film about a neurotic straight woman who takes a risk with the wrong person simply because it's the risk which has been building since...birth. She risks loving a woman and discovers that it's not so bad, if only she weren't so heterosexual. In the end, she learns how to be less neurotic (I hope), finds a new best friend in aforementioned female lover, and discovers men all over again. Oy vey!

Alas, the one great and endearing aspect about the film is the following quote from Letters to a Young Poet by one of my favorite writers, Rainer Maria Rilke:

For it is not inertia alone that causes the unspeakably monotonous and unrenewed human condition to repeat itself again and again. It is the aversion to anything new, any unpredictable experience, which is believed to be untenable.

After I cursed the film and put the DVD back in its place, I took a couple of pills to relieve my headache and pain. I downed the suckers with OJ, desperately wishing that I had some Vodka to make a screwdriver. I lay on the sofa and watched Matlock until BB came home. BB, my saving grace. She pampered me and massaged my neck. I'm feeling much better now.

I've been meaning to share my Top 5 female celebrities. Here goes:

1. Madonna
2. Jordana Brewster
3. Milla Jovovich
4. Piper Perabo
5. Rachel Shelley

At one point in time, Angelina Jolie ranked #2 on my list. But since her bitter remarks about Madonna, I bumped her down to #6. Furthermore, my Top 5 is a list of female celebrities who are exceptionally HOT in my opinion. Who's in your Top 5?

On a final note, I really don't have anything important to say which ties in with this post. I could tell you to never buy generic cereal brands or never watch a DVD you love while your head feels like it's about to explode. Or I could tell you to add Madonna to your Top 5. Hmm...

Add Madonna to your Top 5 list of exceptionally HOT female celebrities. Better yet, rank her #1. And...don't drink and drive.

No comments: