Tuesday, September 13, 2005

LSD II

So where did I leave off? I discussed the terror I felt as a 1L. But my first year wasn't as terrifying as I perceived it to be going in. My own insecurities and fears raised the terror level to orange, but eventually the terror subsided as I broke out of my shell and adapted to the law school environment.

And it is true what they say about law school: The first year they scare you to death. The second year they work you to death. And the third year they bore you to death. I was terrified my first year as I explained in my previous post. And I don't think I ever worked as hard and studied as much my whole life (except during the bar exam) as I did my second year. By the time my third year rolled by, I grew brave and became comfortable enough to skip several classes that bored me and even managed to pass Wills, Trusts, and Estates with the worst grade I ever got in law school and without breaking a sweat. That was the sweetest part. Knowing that I beat the system and came out triumphant on my own terms and without fear.

However, the best part about my law school experience was living in the Big Apple. New York City. The mecca of all meccas. My mecca. My dream came true when I set foot in NYC and made it my home away from home for three years. I loved every single bit of it, from the towering buildings to the putrid smell emanating from somewhere in Chinatown/Canal Street. The rush I felt from living in the big city overwhelmed me at times to the point of tears. But its energy jolted me into existence. 'I am alive,' I thought to myself countless times as I breathed in the big city air. My ambrosia. My freedom. My awakening.

No comments: