Sunday, September 18, 2005

Fair Tax and Other Thoughts

Have you heard of the Fair Tax proposal? If so, what do you think about it? For those of you who haven't heard about it, the Fair Tax proposes to "abolish the Internal Revenue Service and replace all federal payroll taxes- from income tax to social security and Medicare tax- with a consumption tax on only retail goods and services." Isom, Kevin. "Fair Tax? Gaily Forward!." OUT Las Vegas Sept. 2005: 8. Hmm...sounds pretty good, huh? My only concern is how much the consumption tax would be. Otherwise, abolishing the IRS and federal tax return filings would benefit everyone, including gay and lesbian families, on an equal level as opposed to the way things are right now. Currently, legally married gay and lesbian couples in Massachusetts and domestic partners everywhere else do not enjoy the federal tax benefits that married heterosexuals do. Thus, the Fair Tax proposal would rectify this inequality by abolishing the IRS and replacing federal payroll taxes with a consumption tax that would afford the same benefits at the same cost to everyone.

Listen up! We're here, we're not going anywhere, and we're demanding equality now! And while I'm expressing my opinion, screw the Defense of Marriage Act and its supporters! And that includes the ever incompetent Bush!

Now I'm hungry. Time to eat leftovers as I mull over what to write about next. These after-midnight feedings aren't good for me and my diet. But what the hell, right?! You only live once! Right! Right?! Right?

The weekend came and went without any highlights, unless you consider shopping at the 99cents store a highlight. In some way, it is. You can purchase a lot for your money. Just make sure the item you're purchasing hasn't expired. That would definitely dampen your highlighted spirits.

I started a new book entitled Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I'm hoping it will be a worthwhile read and a good find. The first few pages have kept me interested thus far, but it takes a great book to keep me reading until the very last page and wanting more even after it's over. The last book I read which kept me absolutely enthralled was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I can't hardly wait for book seven, the last and final book in the Harry Potter series. I think I'm going to cry. By the way, for those of you in dire need of a Harry Potter fix after reading HBP, check this out. It'll give you hope.

Memoirs of a Geisha will soon be in theaters. I loved the book. Hopefully, the movie does the book justice, but movies never do books justice.

Maybe the Fair Tax proposal will bring us all justice for a change.

No comments: