Sunday, January 23, 2011

Philosophical Coffee Talks

JCM and I met up at Barnes and Nobles this morning to resume our long overdue philosophical "coffee talk."  It's been too long since we last engaged in this tradition of ours as family, careers, and shifting priorities crept into the foreground of our lives, unintentionally leaving little or no time for us to continue our ritual.  A ritual that began in our early 20s during a period in our lives when we first began to feel the weight of the world on our shoulders as life's questions went unanswered.  In an attempt to decipher life's often daunting questions, we created an open forum and engaged in honest discussions centered around the gray shades of life.  Through the years, we manged to support one another, to come to each other's defense and aid, when life became too much to bear alone.  And like the Socrates of old, we created a place where we were free to discuss life, death, and everything in between without judgment.

Today's talk was heartfelt and wracked with soul-searching questions.  We tossed ideas around about life and shared insights on the paths we're currently on.  We reflected on the past and hoped for the future, but adamantly vowed to live in the now.  And we vehemently aspired to live authentically, not merely with words, but in our actions.

I am so grateful for JCM's friendship.  He's been there for me during every phase of my life:  my transition from a small plantation town on Oahu, Hawai'i to the bright lights of Manhattan; my coming out; my lonely, angst-ridden twenty-something years; my relationship with her; and my current state of being (i.e., post break up and my ongoing search for me).  He has been an integral part of my life, and I hope our friendship means just as much to him.

On another note, I feel the desperate need to travel.  Although it may not be the most practical time for me to do so given my limited funds, I'm throwing practicality and reasoning out the window.  For so long I've put my dreams and, consequently, my life on hold for practical reasons, yet where and what has that brought me?  Nowhere and nothing.  So I've decided to do the opposite of what my mind tells me and instead follow the yearnings of my heart.  In the words of her Madgesty, "I think I'll follow my heart.  It's a very good place to start."

Live unfettered, but remain true to your heart.

No comments: