Friday, December 31, 2010

Out with the Old...

2011 will definitely be a year of change for me.  Although the road ahead is daunting, I feel a deep sense of relief and a renewed sense of excitement.  This time, however, I'm traveling down the road alone.


She said, "I love you and I care about you, but...I'm not in love with you."  Her honesty took me by surprise, but her words didn't break me as I thought they would.  I simply didn't understand why it took her this long to tell me the truth, and I don't know why she decided to lay bare her soul on New Year's Eve.  I gather she wanted a new start for the new year.  I won't lie and say this doesn't hurt, even though I've felt the gradual decline of our relationship for some time now.  She claims we've lost our spark, and I honestly think maybe we didn't share one to begin with.

I understand now what that fortune teller warned me about years ago.  She told me to be careful not to marry simply for the sake of being married.  I paid no heed to her reading, believing none of what she foretold.  And in time, I forgot.  Now I remember clearly as I replay the night's events in my head.  Was I simply in this relationship because I wanted to be in a relationship?  Granted, I loved her, still love her, and will always love her in a way, but I don't believe she was ever the one.  Our love will never be remembered in stories passed on from generation to generation, but I have hope that someday I'll find the one who'll set my soul on fire.  And that love will no doubt be remembered for all time.

Happy New Year!

No comments: