Monday, December 08, 2008

Resolution

I know it's not that time of the year just yet, but I thought I'd resolve to do something now.

I resolve to discover new things each day, to view things in a different light, to be productive, and to appreciate the truth and beauty in even the small and mundane experiences.

So here's how I've been sticking to my resolution:

I completed a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle in less than 3 days! I remember when Quinn, my cousins, and I worked on jigsaw puzzles back when we were kids. My Auntie Isabelle introduced us to this great pastime, which instilled in us patience, among other things. Back then, we worked on 1,000 to 5,000 piece puzzles, if not more. I don't know if I can withstand even a 1,000-piece puzzle on my own. This 500-piece puzzle frustrated me at times as it is! Anyway, I don't remember what we did with the completed puzzles back then. I do know that I intend to glue together my completed puzzle in honor of my accomplishment. Yay!

I also completed The Aeneid by Virgil yesterday. I enjoyed Virgil's epic poem, which was full of adventure and excitement as Aeneas fought to secure his destiny. Poor Dido! The part of the book where Aeneas traveled to the underworld reminded me a lot of Dante's The Divine Comedy. I gather that's why Dante chose Virgil as his guide. I highly recommend The Aeneid, as well as The Odyssey and The Iliad by Homer (great reading!).

I'm thinking about joining an online book club. You see, I've been a bit envious that my friend and co-worker, Bobby, is part of a guild. A guild is a bunch of people who game together in World of Warcraft. A couple of Bobby's guild members/friends drove in from Fresno this weekend. They had a potluck. Most importantly, they had fun. I want to be part of a guild. I'd like to meet new people and to form new friendships with others who have similar interests. I love books, so I thought 'why not join a book club.'

Do something!

No comments: